Investing in physical gold and silver inside of a Self Directed IRA is a great way to diversify your retirement portfolio. Most IRA brokerage companies allow you to invest in ETF (paper that says you own gold) but few IRA custodians allow you to invest in the physical metals. Many people have concerns about ETF's. Does the ETF actually have the metals stored that they are selling through their ETF? It is a valid concern and points to why many people choose a gold backed IRA.
I found an interesting video by Glen Beck in which he talks about his concerns that the US government has been tampering with metals it is storing for other various countries. While this video is interesting I cannot speak to the validity of his claims. When choosing to have a gold backed IRA through Accuplan Benefits Services you can be assured that when you buy physical gold and silver through your gold IRA all of the metals are physical bought and stored in your behalf at a vault at Brinks. It is also verified and insured by Brinks.
Below are some of the benefits of a gold IRA (owning gold and silver in your IRA):
- Gold and silver has tremendous upside pricing potential, due to inflation risks, with little downside risk.
- Gold and silver is both an inflation and a deflation hedge.
- Gold and silver is highly liquid, it can be either exchanged directly for other property or cashed in easily.
- Gold and silver is universally recognized as money everywhere in the world, there are no exchange rate issues.
- Physical gold and silver holdings are not subject to IRS reporting or taxes (with some exceptions in an IRA).
- Gold and silver is a great way to diversify in a balanced investment portfolio.
- Gold is highly portable – $100,000 of gold coins weighs only 6.25 pounds (at $1,000 per ounce).
- Gold is easy to store.
- Gold and silver, unlike paper money, cannot be devalued by government action and any government intervention in gold markets would soon lose its effect.
- Gold and silver held in a private or secret stash is highly secure and protected from government.
Feel free to call, email or chat below if you are interested in learning more about gold backed IRA and silver backed IRA.
Author: Ben Barker, Self Directed IRA Professional