A Self Directed IRA, like other traditional IRAs, follows the same tax laws and rules but it allows you to invest in non-traditional investements that are typically not available through your investment advisor or broker. These investment choices can be private LLCs, or corporations, private lending, real estate, precious metal and much more. The options and choices are only limited to your imagination and the tax code. Read more on Self Directed IRA Rules
What is a Checkbook IRA or Checkbook Control?
A checkbook IRA is also commonly called a Self-Directed IRA LLC with Checkbook Control. With a checkbook IRA, when you find an investment that you want to make with your IRA funds, simply write a check or wire the funds straight from your Self-Directed IRA LLC bank account to make the investment. You are the manager of the IRA LLC and as such can act quickly on great investment opportunities. The Self-Directed IRA LLC allows you to eliminate the delays associated with an IRA custodian, enabling you to act quickly when the right investment opportunity presents itself.
How It Works
1. Accuplan will consult with you to determine what your objectives are for self direction.
2. We will create a new IRA account and a separate LLC with Accuplan Benefits Services.
3. You roll-over your IRA or 401(k) to American Estate & Trust.
4. You establish banking and investment accounts for the LLC.
5. American Estate & Trust buys membership in the LLC in behalf of your IRA.
6. You direct the investments as the LLC Manager
What is Included?
• Setup of LLC
• Filing of state articles
• Self Directed IRA compliant operating agreement
• Setup and operating guide
• Banking authorizations for checking account
• Handling your rollover to our sister company American Estate & Trust, the IRA custodian
• Unlimited consulting
Benefits of the Checkbook Control IRA
• Direct Ownership in non-traditional investments
• Capital gains deferral or elimination
• Checkbook control of all plan assets and monies
• Low custodian or annual account fees
• Income and tax deferral for growth on investments
If you have any more questions about Checkbook Control IRA feel free to call, email, or comment below.
If you would like to discuss more about Self Directed IRA Rules or the investments allowed in an IRA feel free to comment below or contact us at Accuplan Benefits Services.
Author: Ben Barker, Self Directed IRA Professional